First Opened Its Doors
Current Number of Beds
In July of 1947, Mr. A.P. George and his wife sat down with members of the community to discuss the growing need for a hospital in Fort Bend County. By October of that same year, the Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital was chartered. Just over two years later, in January of 1950, the hospital would open its doors and admit its first patient.
Since 1950, when the hospital first opened, the Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital served the Fort Bend Community based out of Richmond until it changed its name to OakBend Medical Center in 2004, who still operates the hospital system to this day.
The OakBend hospitals offer Fort Bend residents the only no-wait emergency departments. The Jackson Street campus, as the historical home of the hospital system, is the only Level III Trauma Center in the county and offers Acute Care for the Elderly, Senior Behavioral Health services, and the only hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facility.
OakBend prides itself on having several awards for patient care and being the last remaining independent nonprofit hospital in the Greater Houston Area.
OakBend is dedicated to serving in the communities where they are located and to helping Fort Bend County residents have a healthy future. As part of this dedication, they conduct and participate in community health fairs to provide blood pressure, glucose, and other tests to the community free of charge, and they make the commitment to treat everyone, regardless of their ability to pay.
Learn more about OakBend Medical Center here.